Alfonso Rivera Canales a consultant in the intellectual property department, has been ranked by Chambers and Partners 2023. Alfonso is responsible for managing the intangibles portfolio of the Firm’s clients, we are pleased to share his recognition.
As of December 9, 2016, a new Intellectual Property system is in force in Ecuador. The Organic Social Economy of Knowledge, Creativity and Innovation Code, hereinafter the “Code”, was published in the Official Gazette on said day, which also governs a series of other matters, replacing the Intellectual Property Law of 1998.
The Executive Branch has a deadline of 180 days to issue the General Regulation to this Code.
Our Firm previously made an observation regarding some concerns in the Code related to its content and grounds, especially with regards to intellectual property, which still remains. Nevertheless, the Code expressly acknowledges the term and supremacy of international treaties signed and ratified by Ecuador in relation to intellectual property.
The issues that modify the previous system in effect and that could be a concern or matter of interest for owners of intellectual property rights in Ecuador are included in the following link:
To read the attachments download the material .. !!
By ZVS Tobar in Featured , INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , News and Bulletins
The President of Ecuador issued Decree Nr. 356 in April 3, 2018, creating the NATIONAL SERVICE OF INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS (“SENADI”) as a technical entity attached to the Secretary of Higher Education, Science and Innovation. This entity will replace the Ecuadorian Institute of Intellectual Property (“IEPI”) created In 1998.
The SENADI is the local authority competent in all matters related to intellectual property, and will take over the regulation, management and control of the Intellectual Property rights pursuant to the Organic Code of the Social Economy of Knowledge, Creativity and Innovation and other regulations of legal order.
It will provide services for the acquisition and exercise of the intellectual property, as well as the protection of traditional knowledge.
Among its responsibilities are the following functions:
1. To protect and defend intellectual rights, to organize and manage the information about the registration of all kinds of intellectual property rights.
2. To conduct the procedures and to resolve about the granting or refusal of the registration of industrial property rights for patents, utility models, industrial designs, trademarks, slogans, commercial names, trade dresses, geographical indications, and others.
3. To conduct the procedures for the granting and registration of the rights over new plant breeders’ rights and to manage the deposit of live samples.
4. To guaranty, within the range of its competence, the acquisition and exercising of the intellectual property rights.
5. To make use of its faculties of regulation by means of issuance of technical regulations in this field, management and control of the intellectual rights and traditional knowledge.
6. To make, ex-officio or upon request of a party, inspections, monitoring and punishment functions.
7. To process and resolve the oppositions that are filed in connection with the registration of intellectual property rights.
8. To set the official fees and charges for the services rendered by the entity responsible for the management of intellectual property rights and the traditional knowledge.
The General Director will represent the entity. The head of the Secretary of Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation will appoint him. The Committee of this attached entity of Intellectual Rights will be made of by at least six members. The IEPI Director (a. i.) shall continue in charge of the institution until the new authority is appointed. All the IEPI employees with appointments will become part of the SENADI.
All the rest of competences, attributions, functions, among others, that were of the competence of the Ecuadorian Institute of Intellectual Property (IEPI) as of this date shall be undertaken by the SENADI.
The organic structure of the IEPI will continue in force until the new organic structure of the SENAI is approved.
The corresponding institutions shall comply with the provisions in this Decree within a 180 days’ term.
By Rivera Alfonso in Featured , INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , News and Bulletins
In the newly released Leaders League Latin America 2021 Intellectual Property and Technology reports, Tobar ZVS, has been ranked a leading firm in “Plant Varieties Protection” and excellent and recommended in “Innovation, Technology & Telecoms”, “Data Protection Law”, “Enforcement & Anti-counterfeiting Actions”, “IP Litigation”, and “Trademark Prosecution”. Four lawyers were ranked within their respective industries including Alfonso Rivera, Hipatia Donoso, Alvaro Sevilla, and Oscar Vela.
See the full rankings in Leaders League.
By ZVS Tobar in INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , News and Bulletins
The legal directory Chambers and Partners has recognized, in the latest 2022 edition, our firm’s Environmental and Natural Resources and IP practices. Within these practice areas, the publication identified partners Juan Fernando Larrea, Cesar Zumarraga and Alfonso Rivera as leading practitioners in Ecuador.
Headquartered in London, Chambers is an independent research company that produces international rankings for the legal industry. It operates across 200 jurisdictions delivering detailed rankings and insight into the world’s leading lawyers.
Visit the Tobar ZVS’s listing in Chambers & Partners here: https://chambers.com/law-firm/tobar-zvs-spingarn-latin-america-9:192780
By ZVS Tobar in Featured , INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND ANTI-PIRACY , NATURAL RESOURCES, ENERGY AND INFRASTRUCTURE , NATURAL RESOURCES, ENERGY AND INFRASTRUCTURE